- 4 venison haunch steaks(about 150g-5oz-and 2cm thick)
- Olive oil
Fruity Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 tbsps olive oil.
- 400g can chopped tomatoes.
- 25g(10 oz) chopped dried mango.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 3 tbsps soft brown sugar.
- 2 tbsps sweet chilli sauce.
- 5 tbsps Bourbon(or Scotch whisky).
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar.
- 2 tbsp made English mustard.
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the garlic then all the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk together, then bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes until reduced.
- Keep warm while you cook the steaks.
- Heat a heavy frying pan (that can be placed in the oven) until smoking hot, and heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
- Rub the steaks with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the steaks into the pan, turn the heat down to medium and sear for 2-3 minutes (do not be tempted to move it).
- Turn over and sear on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 6 minutes (rare) or 8 minutes (medium rare).
- Remove from the oven and transfer the steaks to a warm plate, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Serve with sauce.