- 250g onions, chopped roughly
- 250g leeks, chopped roughly
- 200g carrots, chopped roughly
- 500g venison stewing meat
- 2 litres of brown chicken stock
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2g whole juniper berries
- 1 litre double cream
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 50g redcurrant jelly
1. Cut the venison meat into 4cm cubes, cover in flour and dust off excess.
2. Seal in a frying pan and colour. Once all the meat is a deap brown colour all over, remove from the pan, pour off excess fat and deglaze the pan with red wine. Reduce red wine by half.
3. Colour all the vegetables in a little oil and add to the venison and wine. Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to the boil and add all other ingredients; bring back to the boil and skim. Season with salt and pepper, place in a casserole dish, cover and place in a low oven for six hours or until the meat is tender.
4. Allow to cool and then strain through a colander; remove the vegetables and retain the meat.
5. Reduce the braising liquid until it forms a sauce consistency, skimming it as it reduces.
6. Place the meat back into the sauce and seaon once more. Use as desired; you can either use it as a stew or place in a pie dish and cover with puff pastry.