- Iron Age Pork joint
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Calculate the cooking time by allowing 30 minutes per 500g ( 25 minutes per lb).
- Pork crackling is wonderful when it is just right and crisp.
- Ensure that the skin is dry (dab with a paper towel if necessary), score inch wide lines into the fat with a very sharp knife, a stanley knife is good for the job, and rub a bit of salt into the surface.
- Start the meat at 200C for the first 20 minutes to ensure the fat crisps up nicely and reduce the heat to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 from then on.
- Before carving leave meat to rest for 10 minutes.