- 500g(1lb) meaty wild rabbit joints.
- 350g(12oz) fatty pork belly, cubed.
- 125g(4oz)chopped streaky bacon or pancetta cubes.
- 2 tsps dried thyme.
- Freshly grated nutmeg.
- A good pinch of ground allspice.
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Melted butter and extra thyme sprigs, to finish.
- Preheat a slow cooker according to the instructions.
- Put the rabbit and pork into the slow cooker with the thyme.
- Add spices to taste, salt and pepper and ladle of water or stock.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or in the oven at 150C/fan 130C/gas mark 2, for 4 hours) or until the meat literally falls off the bones.
- Tip everything into a large strainer set over a bowl.
- Carefully pick out the bones and pork skin.
- Transfer the meat into a food processor fitted with the plastic blade (or use a hand-mixer) and work until the meat is shredded and fluffy looking.
- Beat in a good ladleful of strained liquid then season well with more spices, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon into ramekins and smooth the surfaces.
- Cool and chill.
- When set, cover each with layer of melted butter and place a couple of thyme sprigs on top and chill.
- Serve at room temperature on crostini, oatcakes or French bread with pickled beetroot and gherkins.