2 young pheasants
3 oz (75g) streaky bacon
1 lb (450g) tin chestnuts
1/2 pint (275ml) cream
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of Harvey or mushroom sauce
1 teaspoon anchovy essence
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon brandy
1. Boil all ingredients except brandy together for about 10 minutes until sauce is thick (coating consistency) add the brandy and season.
2. Cover the pheasants with streaky bacon and roast in the normal way. When cooked remove the bacon, that should be crispy and cut with scissors into little pieces – keep warm.
3. Heat the chestnuts in a saucepan in the butter – keep warm.
1. On a warm serving platter put the chestnuts onto the bottom of the platter.
2. Slice the pheasants and arrange over chestnuts, arranging the legs around the outside of the platter.
3. Cover with the sauce and sprinkle the chopped bacon bits over the top and sprinkle with chopped parsley.