- 2 pheasants.
- 4 oz unsmoked bacon cut into 3 or 4 pieces.
- 25g (1oz) butter or oil.
- 225g (8oz) shallots. 2
- 5g (1oz) flour.
- 570ml (1 pint) good stock or chicken stock cube.
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly.
- 100ml (4fl oz) white wine.
- Bouquet garni.
- 8 whole field mushrooms.
- Salt and pepper.
- Chopped parsley.
- Melt butter or oil in large pan and brown the pheasants all over then remove from pan.
- Saute the onions and bacon and remove from pan.
- Add enough flour to pan to take up the remaining juices.
- Mix well and add the remaining ingredients except the parsley.
- Place the pheasants in the casserole and surround with onion and bacon mix, bring to boil.
- Place in oven and cook on low heat for 1 hour or until tender.
- Add mushrooms before end of cooking, tucking them in around and under the pheasants.
Serve with a horseradish crÃ¨me fraiche and greens.
Courtsey of “Game to Eat”.