- 4 partridges.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 125g(4oz) chorizo sausage, cubed.
- 150ml(¼ pint)chicken or game stock.
- 2 tbsps dry sherry.
- 2 tsps rowan, hawthorn or chilli jelly.
- 1 tbsp small salted capers, rinsed.
- 4 slices char-grilled country bread.
- Rocket leaves to serve.
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Carefully remove breasts from the birds and pull off the skin.
- Keep carcasses and legs in the freezer to make stock.
- Season the breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy frying pan until very hot then add a tablespoon of oil to the pan then add the chorizo, fry for 2 minutes until crispy then remove to a plate.
- Reheat the pan, add the breasts, skinned side down.
- Fry for 2 minutes then turn over and fry for another 2 minutes maximum.
- Lift the breasts out of the pan to a plate, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest in a warm place.
- Deglaze pan with stock and sherry, stir in the fruit jelly and capers
- Boil hard until reduced by half
- Taste, season and keep warm.
To serve, place the grilled bread on each plate with rocket leaves on top. Slice the partridge and place on top, spoon the sauce over and around and scatter with chorizo.