- 2 large onions, finely chopped.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced.
- 5cm fresh root ginger, shredded.
- 2tbsp olive oil.
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz lean lamb leg meat, cut into chunks.
- 2 cinnamon sticks.
- 8 cloves.
- 6 cardamom pods.
- Good pinch saffron.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 tsp ground coriander.
- 3 tbsp ground almonds.
- 850ml/ 1Â½ pts beef stock.
- 250g pack ready-to-eat dried apricots.
- Fry the onions, garlic and ginger in the oil for about 15 mins.
- Add the lamb and stir-fry until browned.
- Add the spices, cook over the heat to release their flavours, then add the almonds.
- Pour in the stock and season to taste.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the apricots and then simmer 15 mins more until the lamb is tender.
- Thin with a little water if the sauce starts to get too thick.
To freeze, cool, and then pack into a freezer bag or container. Will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw for 6 hrs in the fridge, and then reheat in a pan until bubbling hot.