- 2 partridges
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- grated zest of ½ lemon
- 75g/3oz softened butter
- Cut the partridges in half lengthways with a sharp serrated knife and bash the pieces down so the legs lie flat.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan for a few seconds until they release their aroma.
- Transfer to a pestle and mortar and grind coarsely, then mix into the butter with the lemon zest.
- Rub the partridge all over with the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook under a hot grill being careful not to let them burn and turn them several times, brushing with more butter.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown and the skin is crisp.
- Serve with whole baby carrots.
Courtesy of Mark Hix “Game to Eat”.