- 1 leg joint of Blackface Mutton.
- 2 onions.
- 2 sticks celery.
- 1 whole bulb of garlic.
- 1 bayleaf.
- 10-15 dried juniper berries.
- 1tbs whole peppercorns.
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- 3 cups of beef or lamb stock.
- 2 cups of red wine.
- 1 cup of orange juice
- Cover leg of mutton in seasoned flour and then sear in a hot pan.
- Place in a deep casserole dish with 2 onions, 2 sticks celery, 1 whole bulb of garlic, 1 bayleaf, 10-15 dried juniper berries, 1tbs whole peppercorns, 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Cover with 3 cups of beef or lamb stock, 2 cups of red wine, 1 cup of orange juice (this sweetens and tenderises the meat).
- Cover and cook at 180C for 5 hours, turning after 2 hours, ensuring that you keep the liquid gently simmering.
This is the recipe that won us the Gold Award for best Seasonal Food Product in Britain. Oliver Webb, the in-house chef at Sainsbury’s headquarters, prepared a leg of Blackface Mutton in this way to sway the judges in their final taste-off to decide the winner from the ten finalists. Three cheers to Olly!