- 500g(1lb) minced venison.
- 2 tbsps sunflower oil.
- 2 streaky bacon rashers, chopped.
- 1 onion & 1 carrot, finely chopped.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed.
- 1-2 tbsp flour.
- 125g(4oz) mushrooms(wild if possible), quartered.
- 5 tbsps dark beer or red wine.
- 300ml(Â½ pint) beef stock.
- A large dash Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 tsp dried thyme.
- 625g(1.25lbs) buttery potato & neep mash.
- 3 tbsps chopped spring onions, chives or wild garlic.
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas mark 7
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps, then tip into saucepan.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan with the onion, carrot and garlic, cook for about 7 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add to the mince, with the flour, mushrooms, beer or wine, Worcestershire sauce, stock and thyme.
- Season well.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes until the mince is thick.
- Taste, check seasoning and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the spring onions with the mash.
- Spoon or pipe evenly over the mince.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve with seasonal greens.