This lovely rich casserole serves 6 people.
- 2lbs cubed venison .
- 4 bay leaves. Â½ pt red wine.
- Shredded basil.
Marinade the venison for 24 hours.
- 8 oz shallots.
- Large carrot, chopped.
- Chopped celery.
- 3 large chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly.
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree.
- 2 crushed cloves garlic.
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper.
- 4 oz mushrooms.
Courtesy of I. Sykes.
- Place marinade in a large pot and heat for a few minutes before adding the garlic, carrot onion, mushrooms and celery.
- Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, crushed pepper and redcurrant jelly and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for around 1Â½ hours stirring occasionally.
- If you want to thicken the casserole, mix 2oz cornflour with a little water and a little of the gravy from the pot.
- Gradually stir the mix into the pot and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Just before serving add a little chopped parsley.