- Mixed groundnut and olive oil
- Fillet of Galloway beef
- Your choice of good full-bodied red wine eg Rioja
- Mustard – optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 240c
- Cover the joint in a layer of salt.
- Put a large meat tray on the heat. Add the oil. Get the oil as hot as you dare, turn on the extractor fan and sear each side of the fillet for about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and as soon as the oil has stopped spitting wrap the joint in 4 layers of aluminium foil.
- Place the joint in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Open a bottle of rioja or shiraz, use some to deglaze the cooking tray and reduce volume by half. I didn’t, but if you want a thicker gravy perhaps a bit of mustard would give the juice a little more bulk. This meat does not require gravy with traditional thickening.
- Now remove the meat and take off the foil.
- cut into slices about an inch thick, the meat will be pink but not runny.
Summon your guests and watch them enjoy themselves.
Courtesy of Brian Chapman
Brian is one of our customers and he kindly sent in this recipe:
“This produced meat of such exquisite tenderness and flavour that I would commend the method for any other Blackfacers.”