- 1 hare cut into joints.
- Flour for dredging.
- Butter for frying.
- ½ bottle white wine.
- ½ pint (300ml) game stock.
- 20 stoned prunes.
- 4oz (100g) chestnuts.
- 1 pinch ground cloves.
- Salt and pepper.
- Potato or cornflour.
- 1 tablespoon fromage frais (optional).
- Heated oven to 400F/200C/gas mark 6.
- Dredge the hare joints with flour and brown in the butter.
- Place in a casserole with all the other ingredients and put into hot oven.
- After 20 minutes turn down to 325F/160C/gas mark 3 and leave for 2-3 hours or until tender.
- If the sauce is too thin then thicken with a little potato or cornflour mixed with cold water and stir in a tablespoonful of fromage frais.
- Serve with rice.
Courtesy of Prue Coats’ “The Poacher’s Cookbook”