- 4 sheep or lamb kidneys.
- 2 tbsp dripping(fat from roasted meat)or oil.
- 1 tbsp chopped onion.
- ¼ tsp salt.
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper.
- 1 tbsp chutney.
- 2 tsp lemon juice.
- ¼ tsp prepared mustard.
- 125 ml brown or general household stock.
- 2 egg yolks.
- Soft white breadcrumbs.
- Skin, core and cut the kidneys in half lengthways, then cut them into neat pieces.
- Heat the dripping or oil in a small pan, add the onion, and cook gently until softened but not browned.
- Add the kidney, salt, Cayenne pepper, chutney, lemon juice, mustard and stock.
- Heat to boiling point, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the kidney is cooked.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly and stir them in.
- Sprinkle in enough breadcrumbs to make the mixture a soft consistency.
- Re-season if required.
Serve on buttered toast or in a border of hot creamed potatoes or rice.