- 50g (2oz) butter.
- 2 tblsp of oil.
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced.
- 75g (3oz) streaky bacon, rinded and chopped.
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed.
- 1 rabbit, jointed.
- Seasoned flour.
- 300ml red wine.
- 300ml stock.
- Bouquet garni.
- 12 prunes (if liked).
- Salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 160C, 325F, gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the vegetables, bacon and garlic.
- Fry gently, stirring until pale brown.
- Transfer the vegetables and bacon to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon.
- Dip the rabbit joints in the seasoned flour and fry them in the saucepan until lightly browned, then add them to the casserole.
- Pour in the wine and stock, add the bouquet garni and prunes and cover.
- Cook in hot oven.
- Remove the rabbit joints to serving dish and keep warm.
- Check the sauce for seasoning, remove the bouquet garni and pour the sauce over the rabbit.
- To serve: Sprigs of parsley and croutons. Serve with brussel sprouts and creamed potatoes.