- 1½lb (675g) stewing steak
- 2tbsp (1 oz) 25 g dripping (fat from roasted meat)
- 8oz (225g) onions, sliced
- 2 level tbsp paprika
- ¼ cup (1 oz) 30g plain flour (all purpose)
- 14oz (397g) can of peeled tomatoes
- 1¼ cup (½ pint) 300ml water
- 1 beef bouillon cube (stock cube)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- Cut the meat into neat 1 in. (2.5cm) cubes.
- Melt the dripping in a saucepan and fry the meat for 3-4 minutes to quickly seal and brown.
- Lift it out with a slotted spoon and keep on one side.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes to lightly brown.
- Stir in the paprika pepper and flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water, crumbled bouillon cube, salt and pepper and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
- Return the meat to the pan, partially cover with a lid and simmer very gently for 1½hours.
- Add the green pepper and continue cooking for a further hour or until the meat is tender.
- Taste and check seasoning.
- Turn into a warm serving dish.
Accompaniments: This is tasty served piping hot with buttered noodles.