- 4 venison steaks.
For the marinade:
- 150ml (¼ pint) red wine.
- 2tbs French wholegrain mustard.
- 1tbs soft brown sugar.
- 2tbs tomato puree.
- 1tsp chilli powder (or to taste).
- 1 small onion, sliced.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- If the steaks are thickly cut, put each steak between two sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin to about ½inch thick.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the steaks in a dish and pour over the marinade.
- Cover with cling film, put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the meat from the marinade, season on each side and place on the barbecue.
- Cook on each side turning regularly during cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Baste occasionally with the remaining marinade to keep moist.
- Serve with barbequed peppers and a chilli and tarragon mayonnaise.
Courtesy of “Game to Eat”.