- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar.
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard.
- 2 tbsp very finely chopped red onion.
- 6 tbsp olive oil.
- 2 tbsp walnut oil.
- 150g French beans, trimmed.
- 4 tsp black peppercorns, crushed.
- 4 (150-175g) venison fillet steaks.
- 1 (120g) bag mixed salad leaves.
- 8-10 basil leaves, large ones, torn in half.
- 175g blackberries.
- 100g redcurrants.
- Whisk the sherry vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the remaining olive oil, the walnut oil and red onion.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Set aside for 30 mins, to give the flavours time to develop.
- Cook the French beans in a pan of boiling, lightly salted water for 3 mins until just tender.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Place in a large bowl with the salad and basil leaves.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan or griddle pan until smoking hot.
- Season the venison steaks with the peppercorns, pressing them firmly into the meat.
- Cook for 3 mins each side for rare steaks or cook according to taste.
- Transfer to a board.
- Rest for 5 mins, then slice.
- Meanwhile add the blackberries and redcurrants to the pan and warm through.
- Give the dressing a final whisk, drizzle half over salad and gently toss together with the warmed fruit.
- Arrange on individual serving plates with the sliced venison.
- Serve straight away with the remaining dressing.
Courtesy of “Game to Eat”.