- 14oz venison liver.
- 7oz belly pork.
- 1 pint milk.
- Ground nutmeg – to taste.
- 8 peppercorns.
- 2 sprigs thyme.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1 shallot or small onion.
- 3oz flour.
- 3oz butter.
- 3 teaspoons salt – Maldon sea salt is good.
- A little anchovy essence, to taste.
- 2 cloves garlic.
- Bacon rashers.
- Mince liver and pork together.
- Infuse nutmeg, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves and shallot in milk for an hour.
- Use the strained milk to make a white sauce, using flour and butter for the roux.
- On a board, crush together salt and garlic and then mix with anchovy essence.
- Mix together with a fork the white sauce, liver, pork, salt, garlic and anchovy mix.
- If a smoother pate is required, use a blender.
- Line the greased pate bowl with stretched bacon rashers.
- Leave an overhang of bacon to one side of the dish and and fill with the mixture.
- Bring the overhang across the top of the mixture.
- Cover with greaseproof paper and foil.
- Put into a dish of boiling water (to about half way up the pate dish) and cook at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 1Â½ hours.
- Allow to cool before removing from pate dish.
This is a customer’s old family recipe – it tastes great. If you would like to order some venison liver please send us an email.