- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped.
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped.
- 2 sticks celery, chopped.
- 450g minced venison.
- 300ml beef or venison stock.
- 150ml red wine.
- 400g can chopped tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste.
- 100ml crÃ¨me fraiche.
- 65g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated.
- 9-12 dried lasagne sheets.
- 5 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Green salad to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/gas mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery.
- Fry gently for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the venison, turn up the heat and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring to break up the lumps, until lightly browned.
- Add the stock, wine, canned tomatoes, tomato paste.
- Stir well, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes until the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened and reduced.
- Mix together the white sauce, crÃ¨me fraiche and Cheddar cheese.
- Lightly oil an oblong ovenproof dish.
- Spread about one third of the sauce over the base.
- Cover with 3-4 lasagne sheets, trying not to overlap them too much.
- Spread with about one third of the sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with the sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until browned and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with a tossed green salad.
Courtesy of “Game to Eat”.