- 1 flank (breast) of lamb.
- 1 litre of water.
- 225g of coarse salt.
- 10ml saltpetre.
- 30ml sugar.
- 10ml bicarb.
- Bring water to boil.
- Add wet cure indgredients.
- Strain liquid into non metal container.
- Place meat in cold liquid. S
- tore in fridge or cold spot for two days.
- Remove meat from pot.
- Hang in well ventilated spot till dry.
- Place meat in saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 90mins until meat is almost tender.
- Allow to cool and hang again until dry.
- Braai (barbecue) over moderate coals for 10mins.
- Cut into portions and enjoy.
A very traditional South African way of cooking flank, though even more authentic is dry cure but this normally requires a pre-boil before braaing.
This recipe comes from Mrs Clemmow, a South African customer.