- 2 plump oven ready partridges.
- 50g butter.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped.
- 300g Arborio rice.
- 100ml dry white wine.
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock.
- 1 tbsp garlic flavoured olive oil.
- 50g freshly grated Pecorino (or Parmesan) cheese.
- Large handful of baby spinach leaves.
- Large handful of wild rocket.
- Shavings of Pecorino cheese to serve.
- Remove the breasts from the partridges (or ask your butcher to do this for you).
- Set the breasts to one side.
- Skin the leg joints and slice the meat from one then chop the meat into small pieces.
- Melt half the butter in a heavy-based pan.
- Add the onion and partridge leg meat and cook gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened.
- Pour in the wine and boil rapidly until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring until the grains are all coated in the buttery juices.
- Add a ladleful of the hot stock and simmer, stirring until absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time until the rice is tender but still retains some bite â€“ this will take about 20 mins.
- Heat the garlic olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry the partridge breasts for 2-3 mins each side until golden brown and just cooked through.
- Transfer to a board and slice.
- Stir in the remaining butter and grated Pecorino cheese into the risotto until melted, then stir in the spinach and rocket.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Top with the sliced breast meat and wild rocket to garnish.
- Serve straight away with shavings of Pecorino cheese.
Courtesy of “Game to Eat”.