- 2 large onions, chopped
- 50g butter
- 750g minced venison
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- 300ml venison or beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsps Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg freshly mashed potatoes made with butter and milk
- 50g Lincolnshire poacher or Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the butter until soft and golden.
- Add the venison and garlic and raise the heat so the meat browns a little, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir in well, then add the stock, tomato puree and all the remaining seasonings.
- Bubble gently for 15 minutes, season again to taste, then place in a shallow dish.
- Spread the mashed potato on top and scatter the cheese over.
- Grill until golden brown and serve with a seasonal vegetable.
Courtesy of “Game to Eat”